Recipes 2 Share
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fried Pizza Dough Fritters

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2606
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Fried Pizza Dough Fritters Empty
PostSubject: Fried Pizza Dough Fritters   Fried Pizza Dough Fritters EmptyNovember 19th 2010, 12:50 pm

1 C. Warm Water
1 T. granulated sugar
1 t. salt
¼ C. olive oil
3 ¼ C. bread or all purpose flour (more may be needed for good dough consistency)
1 ½ t. dry yeast (I like SAF)
2-3 T. butter
1-2 T. olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
Oil for frying, enough to get several inches in a good sized sauce pan
Parmesan cheese, grated
Homemade or store-bought marinara sauce for dipping

In bread machine, combine first 6 ingredients (through yeast) in bread machine pan in the order required for your machine. Set machine to dough cycle. If you have a quick dough cycle on your machine, that works fine for pizza dough, but the regular dough cycle works fine as well. Be sure to check the dough throughout the kneading cycle to make sure it pulls together in a smooth ball. If necessary, add more flour or water. I often have to add more flour to this recipe.

Sometime before the dough cycle is done, put the butter, the 1-2 T. olive oil, and the minced garlic in a microwave safe bowl (or heat on stove top in a pan) and heat long enough to melt the butter. Stir and let set. This lets the garlic infuse the butter oil mix a bit. I like this mix to brush on bread for garlic bread as well – the purpose of the olive oil is to cut the saturated fat of the butter a bit and does not affect the taste as far as I am concerned.

When dough cycle is done (or just before), heat about 3 inches of oil in a good size sauce pan (I used a 3 quart pan). Oil should reach about 365 F for good frying, so test if you have a candy/oil thermometer. If not, just toss some dough in and see how it goes. You want these balls to cook for 2-3 minutes and brown nicely without burning.

While oil heats, spread some wax paper on the counter and dust with a bit of flour. Pinch off golf ball sized pieces of dough and roll into balls and put on wax paper. I got about 21 balls out of this batch of dough. They puff up slightly, so keep that in mind. When oil is hot, begin frying balls in batches. I got about 5-6 balls in the pan at a time and cooked them 2-3 minutes, flipping as necessary for even browning. I used a slotted spoon to transfer them to a platter with paper towels on it and cooked the rest of the batches.

When all dough is fried, I reheated the garlic butter for about 30 seconds in the microwave to make sure it was liquid, and then spooned over the fried dough. I sprinkled the balls with parmesan cheese and served with marinara sauce (heated in the microwave).

Note that this is also my standard pizza dough recipe. You can roll this dough out to make a pizza crust after it comes out of the bread machine. I prebake the crust only for about 4 minutes in a 450-500 F oven in which I have preheated a pizza stone for at least ½ an hour. Then I pull the crust out and top it with sauce, cheese, and other desired toppings and bake until cheese browns, usually about another 6-10 minutes.

Back to top Go down
https://recipes2share.forumotion.com

Fried Pizza Dough Fritters
Page 1 of 1