Recipes 2 Share
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chocolate Orbit Cake

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2606
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Chocolate Orbit Cake Empty
PostSubject: Chocolate Orbit Cake   Chocolate Orbit Cake EmptyJanuary 6th 2013, 3:15 pm

Chocolate Orbit Cake

MAKES ONE 9-INCH (23-CM) CAKE; 12 TO 14 SERVINGS

I developed this recipe because I'd been asked by a restaurant to come up with an idiotproof chocolate dessert. Since the cake I created was impossible to mess up, I called it Chocolate Idiot Cake (behind everyone's back, of course). A few years later, I made it in another restaurant and someone commented that the surface of the cake looked lunar, so it was christened with a kinder, gentler name: Chocolate Orbit Cake.
Not that any of you out there is an idiot, but this is the perfect cake for any baker who may not be a rocket scientist in the kitchen. No matter what you call it, it'll surely launch anyone who takes a bite into chocolate heaven.

1 cup (11 ounces/225 g) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
12 ounces (340 g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
6 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup (200 g) sugar

Preheat the oven to 350°E (175°C). Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch (23-cm) springform pan or round cake pan. If using a springform pan, wrap a large sheet of aluminum foil around the outside of the pan, making sure it's absolutely watertight. If using a cake pan, line the bot¬tom with a circle of parchment paper. Set the springform or cake pan in a large roasting pan.
In a large heatproof bowl, combine the butter and chocolate. Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir occasionally until the mixture is melted and smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and
sugar, then whisk in the melted chocolate mixture until
completely incorporated.

Scrape the batter into the prepared springform or cake pan and cover the pan tightly with foil. Pour very warm water into the roasting pan to reach halfway up the outside of the cake pan. Bake until the cake appears to be set and your finger comes away clean when you gently touch the center (it will still feel quite soft), about 1 hour and 15 minutes, Remove the cake from the water bath and let cool completely.
To unmold, run a knife around the sides of the cake to help loosen it from the pan. If you've used a spring-form pan, simply release the sides. If you've used a regular cake pan, invert the cake onto a plate, peel off the parchment paper, then re-invert onto a serving platter.
SERVING: This cake is an overload of chocolate, so serve it in small wedges, accompanied with whipped cream (page 239), creme anglaise (page 237), or a scoop of cara-mel Ice Cream (page 144). Chocolate curls and shavings are elegant garnishes (see page Cool.
STORAGE: This cake can be refrigerated for up to 5 day's
Back to top Go down
https://recipes2share.forumotion.com

Chocolate Orbit Cake
Page 1 of 1