Recipes 2 Share
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hearty Oxtail and Barley soup

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2606
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Hearty Oxtail and Barley soup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearty Oxtail and Barley soup    Hearty Oxtail and Barley soup  EmptySeptember 7th 2011, 9:34 pm

I love oxtail! I always cook mine in the pressure cooker. I am going try this one soon! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
https://recipes2share.forumotion.com
w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Female
Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Hearty Oxtail and Barley soup    Hearty Oxtail and Barley soup  EmptySeptember 5th 2011, 3:25 pm

I think this would be better with Lentils instead of Barley , Or if you add barley then add it later it doesn't take that long to cook barley. It can take a very long time to get Oxtail to get tender enuf to fall off the bone. I like to cook it all day on a low to medium heat. This is just my thoughts on this recipe. Because I love Oxtail Soup!! The way my mom in law made it, but she is passed away and I am trying to recreate what she made. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Female
Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-08-27

PostSubject: Hearty Oxtail and Barley soup    Hearty Oxtail and Barley soup  EmptySeptember 3rd 2011, 8:55 am

HEARTY OXTAIL AND BARLEY SOUP
2 lbs. disjointed oxtails or meaty lamb bones
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup barley
2 quarts cold water
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced thinly
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons ketchup (optional)
Rinse oxtails in cold water and pat dry.
In a large kettle or Dutch oven, brown oxtails over high heat in olive oil. Do not cook through - just cook until they color on the outside. Add onion, garlic, and carrots just as the meat begins to take on color.

Stir in water, barley and oxtails. Add remaining ingredients, except parsley, salt, pepper, and ketchup.

Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Add salt and pepper, to taste. If you prefer a sweeter taste, add ketchup, if desired, or a few coarsely chopped extra-ripe fresh tomatoes, when in season.

Continue to simmer for another hour or so, or until soup has reached the thickness desired and oxtail meat is falling-off-bone-tender. Add beef or vegetable broth if soup becomes too thick.

Stir in fresh parsley during final 20 minutes of cooking. Remove meat from bones and return it to soup. Skim off fat from top of soup. Remove bay leaf. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hearty Oxtail and Barley soup    Hearty Oxtail and Barley soup  Empty

Back to top Go down

Hearty Oxtail and Barley soup
Page 1 of 1